Pohjanranta estate was founded during the middle age as Niemi-Nieminen. First document markings are from the 15th hundred century. At that time the host of the estate was Heikki Niilonpoika Niemi.
During the 17th hundred century the estate was moved to official ownership but in the year 1844, a peasant by the name of Eerikki Niemelä became the host. He was a member of a parliament for he represented the peasant estate in a committee that came together in January 1862 that Emperor Alexander the 2nd called together to prepare for the 1863 state holiday.
The son of Eerikki Niemelä, Matti was also a member of the parliament. He represented the province's peasant estate during three state holidays. Between the years 1904 and 1923 he served as the mayor of the city of Kemi.
During the year 1916, Matti Niemelä sold the estate to the city of Kemi for an almshouse. Since then the estate has worked as a municipal home and a rest home.
During the fall of 1998, Vuokko and Paavo Väyrynen bought the estate and gave it the name Pohjanranta. Once again the owner was a member of the parliament.